Friday 18 February 2011

The first problem...

Today I started casting some test pieces for the board. My plan was, to hold the magnets in place in the mold with blu tac, then cover them in plaster so they set in place.

Unfortunately, in the past I've used 1mm or 2mm magnets. With 5mm magnets, they're so strong they'll fly together from a few inches away!

So I came up with a backup plan. I pressed the magnets into place while the plaster was almost set. Not the neatest option, but they stuck in place




As you can see, the top right piece is facing differently. This one is showing it's south pole, the rest are showing their north. This worked fine, up until I found the first big problem...

When I took the pieces out, I couldn't resist finding out how strong the hold would be. I didn't want to invest hours magnetizing the board if the stability it provided was minimal. It held alright, infact it held so well that the south pole magnet tore itself out of the plaster!

What I'm going to do is, wait 24 hours for the pieces to dry out fully. Hopefully by then they will be completely stuck in place. If not...I dunno...Velcro?! 

I'm using herculite II dental plaster

I got it from here:

www.maragon.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment