Wednesday 2 March 2011

Painting the dungeon

Okay, feels like i'm on the home stretch now!

First off, I gave the pieces a coat of humbrol sea grey spray. I was a bit dissapointed with this, as although the colour was fine, two cans that cost me £4.99 each wasn't even enough to do the floor tiles, so now I need to make another journey and spend more money to do the doorways and Walls. I wanted to use GW roughcoat but apparently they don't stock it anymore


next, I used a cheap airbrush to spray the pieces with a wash of GW scorched brown. This was very watery, probably the same consistency as dirty brush water. This is to give the pieces more of a tone than a colour, it's just going to rest in the subtle recesses of the floor tiles


when this was dry, I repeated the process with GW catachan green, but I sprayed from a different direction than the brown



Next, I drybrushed the whole thing with GW kommando khaki, having first patched up a few bits with GW adeptus battlegrey. There's a few tiles I used a touch of black spray around the edges, to cover where the grey had missed (couldn't use the grey, as it was run out). This gave a few of the tiles a darker look, I'm ok with this, it gives the rooms a bit of individual character whilst they're quite plain.


and the final stage, a very light drybrush of GW rotting flesh. I love this colour for rock and stone, it's a really soapy, alkaline colour that works for all kinds of stuff


I think what I need to do is leave the pieces be for a few days, as they obviously hadn't set properly when I was handling them, few pieces shifted about or needed reattaching.

Learning points for next time:

1)buy more grey spray if I'm going to use humbrol

2) spray the cork tiles black before attaching the pieces, saves time and ugly gaps later.

3) leave the damn pieces alone for a while!

Now mr postman, hurry up and deliver my heroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment