Thursday 10 March 2011

You rolls the dice, ya takes your chanches...

SDE doesn't use standard dice, that is, they have six sides, but they're not numbered 1-6. Instead, you have different coloured dice, each has different values. For instance, a green die is more likely to score a high roll than a red, but the red die is better than a blue. This is a really cool system that worked well with the doom boardgame, as it avoids the whole "he who rolls the most dice, wins" thing, and also allows for some unexpected results. The end result is that even mega-tough heroes can have a bad roll, so the game isn't as predictable.

However, there are no dice in production yet, I assume they'll come out with the full game release. In the meantime, sodapop have included a conversion chart in the demo rules (I.e red dice:1=potion,2=nothing,3=one star,4=one star,5=two stars,6=three stars. I found this tedious and annoying when I was having a quick test of the rules, so I decided to make some dice in the interim.


I ordered these blank coloured dice from www.thediceshoponline.com, really inexpensive (compared to custom made dice, which are ridiculous in price)


with the aid of a gold permanent marker, I marked up the dice with my meager drawing skills, but they do the job and already using the dice makes the game more fun. Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment